Friday, December 1, 2023

1st Sunday of Advent


Advent is a liturgical season of hope, expectation and joy. During Advent, we rejoice that God loves us so much that he sent his Son into the world to redeem us and we prepare for the anniversary celebration of Jesus’ birth (Christ Mass). However, there is more to Advent than preparing for Jesus’ birthday. Advent also is about the end of the world. It is about that unknown, future time when Jesus will return, the Second Coming, the Day of Judgment we heard about last Sunday. We observe Advent to remind us that there will be a second coming and a Day of Judgment. We observe Advent to help us prepare for that event.

Every time we participate in the celebration of the Mass, the liturgy reminds us that the second coming is on its way. Eucharistic Prayer III refers to us as a “pilgrim church on earth.” Each time we recite the Lord’s Prayer during Mass, the celebrant reminds us that we are waiting “in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ.” Do we really “wait in joyful hope” for his coming? Are we ready to greet Jesus when he comes again?

All the readings during this Advent season direct our hearts and our thoughts to what we need to do to prepare ourselves for Jesus’ coming. Today’s readings give us our first set of instructions. In the first reading from Isaiah 63, we hear the prophet crying out to the Lord to “return for the sake of your servants.” In our Gospel from Mark 13:33 Jesus tells the disciples and us to “Be watchful! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come.” And in the second reading from St. Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians 1:7 we are told to “wait for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

And so, on this first Sunday of Advent. We watch and wait and we join Isaiah in his prayer for the Lord to return. COME LORD JESUS!

Come, long-expected Jesus. 
Excite in me a wonder at the wisdom and power of Your Father and ours. 
Receive my prayer as part of my service of the Lord who enlists me in God's own work for justice.

Come, long-expected Jesus. 
Excite in me a hunger for peace: 
peace in the world, 
peace in my home, 
peace in myself.

Come, long-expected Jesus. 
Excite in me a joy responsive to the Father's joy. 
I seek His will so I can serve with gladness, singing and love.

Come, long-expected Jesus. 
Excite in me the joy, love, and peace
 it is right to bring to the manger of my Lord. 
Raise in me a sober reverence for the God who acted there, 
hearty gratitude for the life begun there, 
and spirited resolution to serve the Father and Son.

I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, whose advent I hail.

Amen.