Sunday, March 17, 2024

Feast of Saint Patrick


Patrick’s Loricum or Breastplate has the famous Celtic prayer, centered on Christ:

Christ be with me, Christ surround me,
Christ be in my speaking, Christ be in my thinking,
Christ be in my sleeping, Christ be in my waking,
Christ be in my watching, Christ be in my hoping,
Christ be in my life, Christ be on my lips,
Christ be in my soul, Christ be in my heart,
Christ be in my sufficing, Christ be in my slumber,
Christ be in my ever-living soul,
Christ be my eternity.


Patrick prayed for the Irish people on the mountain in Mayo which bears his name (Cruach Padraig). 

Here’s a prayer for you on his feast day:

May you recognize in your life the presence,
power and light of Christ in your soul.

May you realize that you are never alone,
for He is always with you;
that your soul, in its brightness,
connects you with the Lord and with the rhythm of the universe.

May you always realize that the shape of your personality is unique,
that you have a special destiny behind the facade of your ordinary daily life.

May you be able to see yourself with the same delight and expectation
with which God sees you in every moment.

And may the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and the rain fall soft upon your fields.

And, until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand


St Patrick