Friday, January 12, 2024

2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

This week as I was reflecting on the readings for Sunday’s masses, I was struck by a phrase from our first reading, 1 Samuel 3:19, “Samuel grew up, and the LORD was with him, not permitting any word of his to be without effect.” The New American Standard Bible translates the phrase as: “Thus Samuel grew and the LORD was with him and let none of his words fail.” Another translation says: “As Samuel grew up, the LORD was with him, and everything Samuel said was wise and helpful.”

Few of us can claim that every word we utter is wise and helpful or that none of our words fail. The question we should ask ourselves is what effect do my words have? A Chinese proverb says, “Words are the keys to the heart.” As I read this proverb, it has two meanings: words can open a heart or they can lock or harden a heart. The effects of our words are usually determined by our intentions. We use words to encourage and uplift people. We use words to comfort people who are suffering. We use words to express our love. We use words to pray and to praise God. We can also use words to offend and wound people. Through gossip, we can use words to defame people and harm their reputations. Occasionally we use words to curse God. Samuel’s words were sometimes harsh, like most of the prophets, but he always spoke the truth. And the source of his truth was God.

Through baptism, we all share in the priesthood of Christ and we become the adopted daughters and sons of God. As God’s children and people who share in the priesthood of Christ, we are expected to proclaim the good news of God’s love and show his compassion to everyone we encounter: the people in our families, the people we work with, the people we go to school with and the people we meet in our day-to-day activities. Every word we speak should reflect the special relationship we have with God through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In Matthew 12:36-37, Jesus tells the Pharisees and us that we will be held accountable for our words, “I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak. By your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.” And so, we should pray every day with the Psalmist, “Let the words of my mouth meet with your favor, keep the thoughts of my heart before you, LORD, my rock and my redeemer” (Psalm 19:15).

O God, 

send forth your Holy Spirit

 into my heart that I may perceive,

Into my mind that I may remember, 

and into my soul that I may meditate.

Inspire me to speak with piety, holiness, tenderness and mercy.

Teach, guide and direct my thoughts and senses from beginning to end.

May your grace ever help and correct me,

And may I be strengthened now with wisdom from on high,

For the sake of your infinite mercy.

Amen.


Saint Anthony of Padua