Friday, August 26, 2022

22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

After a cursory reading of the parable in today’s gospel, Luke 14:1,7-14, we might think that Jesus is giving the Pharisees a lecture on dinning etiquette. A closer reading reveals that Jesus is not competing with Emily Post or Miss Manners on proper etiquette in today’s society. This gospel is about our behavior at the Heavenly Banquet in the Kingdom of God where different rules apply. Jesus tells us that in the Kingdom of God “everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Do any of us honestly believe that we can bulldoze our way to the head of God’s banquet table? Remember the story in Mark’s Gospel about James and John asking Jesus to “sit one at your right and the other at your left" (Mark 10:37). Jesus tells them that they don’t know what they are asking. To sit next to Jesus means to accept suffering and persecution. Jesus goes on to say “to sit at my right or at my left is not mine to give but is for those for whom it has been prepared" (Mark 10:40).

Jesus concludes his lesson on Heavenly manners by reminding the Pharisee who invited him to dinner that he should not seek repayment for his hospitality. Rather, he should invite people who cannot repay him because he “will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” If God is the host of a Heavenly Banquet to which we are all invited, how can we repay him? The answer is we can’t. We can never repay God for all the gifts we have been given. We can, however, support our parish with our time, talent and treasure, support local, national and international causes, care for our neighbors and live good honest lives that reflect the love God has for all of us.

Prayer for Humility

Lord Jesus Christ,
I pray that you may fortify me
with the grace of your Holy Spirit,
and give your peace to my soul,
that I may be free from all needless anxiety and worry.

Help me to desire always
that which is pleasing and acceptable to you,
 so that your will may be my will.

Grant that I may be free from unholy desires,
and that, for your love,
I may remain obscure and unknown in this world,
to be known only to you.

Do not permit me to attribute to myself
the good that you perform in me and through me,
but rather, referring all honor to you,
may I admit only to my infirmities,
 so that renouncing sincerely all vainglory
which comes from the world,
I may aspire to that true and lasting glory
that comes from you.

Amen.

St. Frances Xavier Cabrini