Thursday, June 3, 2021

Start Your Day Right

The legendary football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant had a note he carried in his pocket. Every morning he had taken it out of his pocket, unfold it, read it and returned it to his pocket. When he died this note was found in the back pocket of pants. I plan to share it with as many people as possible in hopes that they, too will make it a ritual by reading this poem every day.

This is the beginning of a new day.
God has given me this day to use as I will.
I can waste it or use it for good.

What I do today is important as I am
exchanging a day of my life for it.

When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever.
Leaving something in its place I have traded for it.

I want it to be a gain, not a loss;
good, not evil;
success, not failure;
in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.

Paul William "Bear" Bryant (1913 - 1983) was the longtime head coach of the University of Alabama football team. During his 25-year tenure as Alabama's head coach, he amassed six national championships and thirteen conference championships. Upon his retirement in 1982, he held the record for most wins as head coach in collegiate football history with 323 wins.