Friday, August 16, 2019

20th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Jesus’ words in today’s Gospel, Luke 12:49–53, were shocking and disturbing to the people who heard them and they are shocking and disturbing to us.  Why is this man we call the Prince of Peace talking about setting the earth on fire, division among families and discord?  This does not sound like the Kingdom of Heaven Jesus proclaims in the rest of the Gospel. 

Sadly, not everyone accepts the Gospel message.  We all have free will.  Some people choose to follow Jesus others do not.  For those of us who choose to follow Jesus, the path is not always easy.  Standing up for our faith can lead to rejection, ridicule, persecution and sometimes death. 

Throughout scripture we find that fidelity to God’s word is costly.  Jeremiah suffered immense hardship for following his prophetic vocation.  In our first reading today from Jeremiah 38:4-6,8-10, his enemies throw him in a cistern believing he will starve to death.  During his lifetime, Jeremiah was tried for blasphemy, put in the stocks, flogged and imprisoned simply for speaking the word of God to his people.  He wanted to quit but his faith in Yahweh kept him going despite the obstacles. 

Writing to a group of persecuted Christians, the author of the Letter to the Hebrews tells them and us in today’s second reading (Heb 12:1-4) that although Jesus suffered the shame of the cross, he now sits “at the right of the throne of God.”  As Christians we must keep “our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith.”  Keeping our eyes on Jesus gives us the strength and courage we need to confront whatever adversity comes our way. 

A Prayer for the Way to Peace

Father of love, hear my prayer. 
Help me to know Your Will
and to do it with courage and faith. 
Accept my offering of myself,
all my thoughts, words, deeds, and sufferings. 
May my life be spent giving You glory. 
Give me the strength to follow Your call,
so that Your Truth may live in my heart
and bring peace to me and to those I meet,
for I believe in Your Love.
Amen

(From Catholic Online)