Friday, June 28, 2019

13th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Independence Day is a time for all of us to stop and give thanks for the freedom we so often take for granted here in the United States of America.  We Americans value freedom as one of our most basic “unalienable rights.” Freedom is a great principle that carries tremendous responsibility.  Undisciplined, irresponsible freedom is dangerous.  Pope John Paul II observed “When freedom does not have a purpose, when it does not wish to know anything about the rule of law engraved in the hearts of men and women, when it does not listen to the voice of conscience, it turns against humanity and society.”

In today’s second reading from Galatians 5:1,13-18, St. Paul reminds us that Christ set us free from fear, sin and anything else that enslaves us.  He entreats us to hang on to our spiritual freedom, “stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery.”  And he reminds us that while we are “called for freedom,” we should not use our freedom for self-indulgence.  Rather we should use our freedom to “serve one another through love.” The great scripture scholar, William Barclay, observed that “Christian freedom is not [license], for the simple but tremendous reason that Christians are not men and women who have become free to sin, but people who, by the grace of God, have become free not to sin.”

This week as we celebrate Independence Day remember to pray for our country, thank God for our freedom and pray that we have the wisdom to exercise our freedom in the right way.  The following prayer is found on About Christianity.com: 

Dear Lord,
There is no greater feeling of liberation than to experience this freedom from sin and death that you have provided for me through Jesus Christ. Today my heart and my soul are free to praise you. For this I am very thankful.

On this Independence Day I am reminded of all those who have sacrificed for my freedom, following the example of your Son, Jesus Christ. Let me not take my freedom, both physical and spiritual, for granted. May I always remember that my freedom was purchased with a very high price.  My freedom cost others their very lives.

Lord, today, bless those who have served and continue to give their lives for my freedom. With favor and bounty meet their needs and watch over their families.

Help me to live my life in a way that glorifies you, Lord. Give me the strength to be a blessing in someone else's life today, and grant me the opportunity to lead others into the freedom that can be found in knowing Christ.

Amen