Thursday, April 18, 2019

Reflection on John's Gospel 21:1-19

Peter’s rehabilitation with Jesus is neat. Jesus doesn’t address him as Peter (Rock) but as Simon, Son of John. Kind of like our Mothers addressing us by our full names when we were in trouble – remember? And Peter was in trouble. He had denied that he even knew Jesus three times and now three times he had to tell Jesus he loved him more than the other disciples. And we know that eventually Peter would be crucified up side down to “glorify God.” Scripture tells us: “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” (John 15:13).

If all of us were asked by Jesus: “Do you love me?”, I would hope we would respond somewhere along the lines of Peter. But that is a difficult question to answer. Do I truly love Jesus more than anything or anyone else in this world? Lord, please give me the grace and strength to answer as Peter did: “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”