Saturday, July 6, 2019

Tolerance vs. Love

Apologist, author, and speaker Josh McDowell writes:

Tolerance says, "You must approve of what I do."
Love responds, "I must do something harder: I will love you, even when your behavior offends me."

Tolerance says, "You must agree with me."
Love responds, "I must do something harder: I will tell you the truth, because I am convinced 'the truth will set you free.'"

Tolerance says, "You must allow me to have my way."
Love responds, "I must do something harder: I will plead with you to follow the right way, because I believe you are worth the risk."

Tolerance seeks to be inoffensive;
Love takes risks.

Tolerance glorifies division;
Love seeks unity.

Tolerance costs nothing;
Love costs everything.

Source: Josh McDowell, Focus on the Family Magazine
(August 1999)